In 2011, we launched Gisteo with a previous iteration of the homepage video or intro video you just watched above. Little did we know then that our quirky little “Gisteo Guy” would be so effective. He connected with people on many levels while presenting our value proposition in a clear, concise and, yes, entertaining way. The Gisteo brand was born and the rest, as they say is history. Since then, we’ve been creating unique animated videos of all kinds for clients all around the world, including plenty of leading companies like these:
Let’s take a quick look at why homepage videos or intro videos, as they’re called, are so important for your product, service, brand or organization:
- Forrester’s Dr. James McQuivey says “a minute of video is worth 1.8 million words.” Research hyperbole perhaps…but the power of online video for marketers is undeniable.
- 70% of marketing professionals report that video converts better than any other medium, according to MarketingProfs.
- Forbes insights found that 75% of executives watch videos on business websites at least once a week and 59% of execs agree that, if both text and video are available on the same topic, they are more likely to choose video.
- Homepage videos can keep people on your site longer, which is an important SEO factor. According to Forrester, having a homepage video increases your chances of being on page one of Google by 53 times when compared to a plain text web page.
- Reel SEO reports that homepage videos can help improve conversions by up to 20%.
- And Vidyard study revealed that 82% of B2B marketers reported achieving success with their video marketing initiatives.
Your homepage is likely the single most visited page of your website. You’ve got precious few seconds to communicate the essence of what you’re all about before visitors click off your page and move on to the next site or online activity. Here are three keys to keep in mind when producing a homepage video:
- Keep in concise: Homepage videos are ideally high-level, company overview videos that clearly and succinctly tell your story. Like we say in our brand name, you want to communicate the “gist” of your solution to potential customers with your homepage video…not force feed them a bloated manifesto that risks having them click off the video before finishing. You may very well want or need to create specific product tutorials, demo videos or more in-depth landing page videos, and that’s fine…but there’s a time and place for everything and homepage videos should be big-picture and two minutes or less in length.
- Keep it consistent with your overall branding: Homepage videos should be a reflection of your overall brand. You want your homepage video to look and feel as though it’s a seamless part of your company branding. It shouldn’t stick out or look like a separate one-off you had produced by a company that ignored your brand guidelines. Also, when it comes to the script, the tone should be in line with your overall brand voice. If you’ve got an irreverent, quirky brand, embrace this with your video. If you’re all corporate and buttoned-up, a homepage video with over-the-top humor may seem inconsistent with the rest of your messaging. Be true to yourself and your brand!
- Give it prominent real estate & “signage” on your homepage: You’ve spent good time and money getting your homepage video produced. The last thing you want to do now is bury it somewhere where people can’t find it! Ideally, it should be “above the fold” and prominently displayed. Make it big and obvious and don’t be afraid to put a fat “play” symbol over the video so it’s crystal-clear that you have video content for the viewer to watch. Add in a catchy headline to call further attention to your homepage video and you may want to mention the running time so your audience knows that it’s not a big time commitment- e.g. “Learn more in just 90 seconds.”
So here’s a good example on one of our homepage video productions in action, keeping in mind the above mentioned “3 keys to effective homepage videos.” Our client, Argos Homewatch offers a diverse range of services that go far beyond traditional house sitting, delivering peace of mind when you can’t be near your home. Concise? Check. Just under 90 seconds. Consistent with overall branding? Yep, totally seamless. Prominent real estate? Big-time. See the image below, to the left. The video is the first thing you see when you visit their homepage. Below, to the right, you can watch the video we produced.
“Gisteo did an amazing job with our animated explainer video. We originally tried to outsource our work, but ran into an immense amount of problems which kept extending the deadlines. I called Stephen at Gisteo and explained the situation to him and in just a few short weeks (with minimal intervention) had a completed 5 star product.”– Jason Hackbarth. Founder, Argos Homewatch
Below is just a quick “appetizer” of the many homepage videos, intro videos and company overview videos we’ve created here at Gisteo. For a more thorough review of our homepage videos, animated explainer videos, marketing videos, demo videos, promo videos and business videos, organized by style, be sure to check out our Portfolio page.
“Not only did Gisteo save me thousands of dollars (compared to all of the other viable options I considered when I was searching for a reputable explainer video production company), but he also produced my homepage video in HALF the time the other companies promised. Stephen and his team are complete professionals, embodying every attribute a client would want when it comes to working with someone who responds super quick to emails and also has a killer perspective as to what will best explain the branding and value proposition a company is offering. The best part is that they treated my bootstrapped “lean” startup the same way I would expect someone to treat a Fortune 500 company. Please save your time and money- just go with Gisteo.” – Joe Terpstra, Founder @NameDrop