Finding the best animated explainer video companies isn’t easy. Let us help you out!
So who really are the best animated explainer video companies? Ah, what a question.
With so many choices these days, doing your homework in this space can be confusing and time-consuming.
At Gisteo, we’re obviously biased. We’ve been doing this since 2011 with thousands of productions in the can. When we launched our company, animated explainer videos weren’t a “thing” yet. So, we just invented our own term to describe what we did by combining the words Gist and Video. The “gist” is the central idea, the core, most essential part of a matter. It implies a quick, insightful summary vs. a long-winded dissertation…which was exactly what our videos delivered. Gist + Video = Gisteo. A company name was born and the rest is history.
A decade later, we’re still explaining the gist of what businesses, products or services are all about. In fact, it’s more important today than ever. Competition is just a click or tap away and your target has countless choices. They need to get the gist…and fast. If they do, it’s priceless because understanding the gist of what you do or sell gives them clarity….and clarity leads to action.
We combine experience, marketing intelligence, smart writing, expert animation chops and fair pricing in a way that we feel makes us one of the best animated explainer video companies on the planet. If you haven’t seen our “Why Gisteo” page, now’s a good time to check that out.
But enough about us for the moment. As we said earlier, there are plenty of companies that make animated explainer videos and the number has grown exponentially over the years.
To make your research easier, below is a handy list of links where you can review the definitive list of reputable explainer video producers. Other than Gisteo (at the top) animated explainer video companies are listed alphabetical order.
Animated explainer video companies: The definitive list
- Gisteo (https://www.gisteo.com).
- 1/29 Films (http://www.129films.com/)
- Amod Films (http://www.amodfilms.com/
- Blink Tower (www.blinktower.com
- BluBlu Studios (www.blublustudios.com)
- Breadnbeyond (www.breadnbeyond.com)
- Common Craft (www.commoncraft.com)
- Corporate Video Sharks (http://corporatevideosharks.com)
- Creamy Animation (http://www.creamyanimation.com)
- Cub Studio (https://www.cubstudio.com/)
- Cullin Collective (http://thecuillincollective.co.uk)
- Daily Planet (http://www.dailyplanetltd.com)
- Demo Duck (http://www.demoduck.com)
- Easy Explain Video (http://easyexplainvideo.com)
- Epipheo Studios (www.epipheo.com)
- Explainers (http://explainers.in)
- Explania (http://www.explania.com)
- Explanimate (http://explanimate.com.au)
- Explain Ninja (https://explain.ninja/)
- Flikli (http://flikli.com)
- Fueled (http://fueled.com)
- Go Animate (http://www.goanimate4schools.com)
- Green Iguana (http://greeniguanastudios.com)
- Grumo Media (www.grumomedia.com)
- Hound Studio (https://hound-studio.com/)
- Howcast (www.howcast.com)
- Idea Rocket (http://www.idearocketanimation.com)
- Illo (https://illo.tv/)
- Illuminate This (http://www.illuminatethis.ca)
- Illustrate It (http://www.illustrateitvideo.com)
- In 60 Seconds (http://www.in60seconds.nl/en)
- Instruxion (http://www.instruxion.com)
- I Sketch Your Idea (http://www.isketchyouridea.com)
- Just Adams Productions (http://www.justadamsproductions.com)
- Kasra Design (http://www.kasradesign.com)
- Kicker Inc (http://www.kickerinc.ca)
- Kukazoo (http://www.kukuzoo.com)
- Less Films (http://lessfilms.com)
- Legwork Studio (http://2009.legworkstudio.com)
- Loose Keyes (http://www.loosekeys.tv)
- Lonric Studios (http://lonricstudios.com/)
- Lumeo (http://lumeoinc.com.au)
- Mable Animation (http://mable.prosite.com)
- MKShft (http://www.mkshftcllc.tv)
- We Love to Explain your Business(http://www.mypromovideos.com)
- Motion Crafter (http://www.motioncrafter.com)
- Motion Story (http://motionstory.org/)
- Nerdo (http://www.nerdo.tv/)
- Panda Motion (http://pandamotion.com)
- Paper Krane (PAPER KRANE)
- Picture Lab (http://www.picturelab.tv)
- Piehole (http://www.piehole.tv/pieholetv)
- Planet Nutshell (http://planetnutshell.com)
- Redwoods Media (http://www.redwoodsmedia.com)
- Revolution Productions (http://www.revolution-production…)
- Rocket Wheel (https://rocketwheel.com/)
- Sales Video Shop (http://www.salesvideoshop.com)
- Sandwich Video (http://www.sandwichvideo.com)
- Sharp Eye Animation (https://www.sharpeyeanimation.com/)
- Simple Story Videos (http://www.simplestoryvideos.com)
- Splainers (http://www.splainers.com)
- Sprinkle Lab (www.sprinklelab.com)
- Studio Pigeon (https://www.studiopigeon.com/)
- Switch Video (www.switchvideo.com)
- Tadapix (http://www.tadapix.com)
- The Explainers (http://theexplainers.com)
- The Explainer Guys (http://theexplainerguys.com/)
- Think Mojo (http://www.thinkmojo.com)
- Think Video (http://www.think-video.com)
- Toondra Studio (http://toondra.ru/)
- Topic Simple (http://www.topicsimple.com)
- Vakuk Films (http://www.vakukfilms.com/video/php)
- Veracity Colab (http://www.veracitycolab.com)
- Video Explainers (http://videoexplainers.com)
- We Are Alive (https://www.wearealive.com/)
- WDYSD (http://www.wdysd.com)
- Wyzowl (https://www.wyzowl.com/)
- Yans Media (https://yansmedia.com)
- Ydraw (https://www.ydraw.com/)
- Yum Yum Videos (https://www.yumyumvideos.com/)
Note: our goal is to put together’s the world’s most comprehensive list of reputable explainer video production companies. If you know of an explainer video company not on the list above, please contact us and we’ll be sure to add it.
Other lists ranking the best animated explainer video companies
Below are lists detailing or ranking the top animated explainer video companies.
Tips for choosing the best animated explainer video company
Honestly, definitely the “best” explainer video company is hard to do. There are a multitude of factors to consider when searching for the right animated explainer video companies.
There are some companies that do stellar work but charge outrageous fees. Other companies produce quality videos, but do so at a snail’s pace. We know this at Gisteo because we often hear stories from clients who compare our service, quality, prices etc. with other companies they’ve contacted or worked with-
Getting an explainer video produced is a significant investment and choosing the best company is an important decision for any business.
Here are some key factors you should consider when trying to select the best animated explainer video companies:
How long have they been in business? How many explainer videos have they produced? With whom have they worked?
Do you recognize any names of past clients or have they worked with any Fortune 500 companies? These are all important questions you’ll want to keep in mind when researching animated explainer video companies.
You need to be careful when working with a studio that has just begun and is still trying to figure things out in terms of workflow and processes. Producing explainer videos is an art as well as a science. The truth of the matter is that these videos are extremely labor-intensive so you ideally want to choose a firm who has put in their 10,000 hours (Outliers by Malcolm Blackwell is a great book, by the way) already, rather than financing a newbie’s learning curve.
Do they respond quickly? If they take longer than 24 hours to respond to your inquiry, consider that a major red flag. This is a highly competitive space. People who don’t get back to you promptly when you’re knocking on their door aren’t likely to suddenly get more responsive when you hire them to do the actual work.
We’ve heard stories about there about animated explainer video companies taking over 5-6 MONTHS to finish a project. As a general reference, we at Gisteo normally finish projects in 4-6 weeks.
What are people saying about their work? Do they have strong testimonials and feedback from reputable companies?
Make sure that they’re not just making up testimonials, or worse yet, buying them from shady characters offering to record video testimonials for a few bucks. Practices like this are wrong and dishonest.
Testimonials need to be earned, not bought! Our advice would be to ask the animated explainer video company for several references. At the same time, you can reach out to some of the past clients cited in their testimonials to ensure that the comments attributed to them are indeed legit.
Is the company a “one-trick pony” or do they offer a wide-variety of styles to fit the needs of different brands?
Now there’s nothing wrong with specializing in a particular style, especially a very unique one like whiteboard videos. If you absolutely know you want to do a whiteboard explainer video and find a company that exclusively offers that style, by all means, go for it.
We find, however, that the vast majority of clients who contact us aren’t really sure what style would be best for their needs. It’s something we discuss in the consultation or discovery process. It’s important that style used in the execution is consistent with your brand’s look and feel, tone and overall strategy. We feel that should be something that you decide along with our team. There simply is no one size (or style) approach to explainer videos so flexibility is important in order to ensure the video meets your unique needs.
Be careful- there are a lot of animated explainer video companies (especially the cheaper ones) who use templates or video maker platforms. Keep in mind that templates tend to give videos a cheesy, “cookie cutter” look that can ultimately damage to your brand.
Ask the animated explainer video company if they create custom characters, artwork and assets as part of their process or if they only use stock imagery and templates. There really is a difference and quality matters!
Does the animated explainer video company have a robust portfolio of past work available on their website? Is their work of a consistent quality across their samples? Or is there just one or two that are good while the rest sort of…well…suck?
When it comes to a company’s work, the proof is in the pudding as they say and it’s easy to get burned out there these days. Carefully review samples of their body of work as this is one of the best indicators of what they can do for you.
Unlike the disclaimer you hear in those investment ads, past performance IS DEFINITELY an indicator of future success in the animated explainer video space!
You’ll find a whole spectrum of pricing out there, from super cheap to obscenely expensive. In general, a lot of off-shore firms in India, Pakistan, Eastern Europe etc. offer low prices but the process can be painful. We get plenty of customers coming to Gisteo who have been “burned” by off-shore options. But let’s be clear: we are NOT generalizing and ALL these companies don’t do poor work. Some, in fact, are indeed very talented.
On the other hand, the expensive companies can certainly be capable of great work but if $30-50K really the best use of your marketing budget when there are quality options available for less?
So there you have it. If you’re searching for the best animated explainer video companies out there, we hope this article has been helpful. Explainer videos can help your business in many ways. Choosing the right partner is important so make sure you do your homework!
If you have any questions or if you’d like to discuss a potential project, contact us today!